In exploring the International Community of Early Childhood, I discovered many organizations working to make a difference in the lives of children and their families.
The Kiwanis International (http://www.kiwanis.org)
The Kiwanis International has been in existence for approximately 90 years. It is a "global organization of member of every age who are dedicated to changing the world, one child, one community at a time" (Kiwanis International, 2012). The Kiwanis International envisions a world where children do not suffer from hunger, abuse, neglect, or inadequate health care (Kiwanis International, 2012) According to the website, Kiwanis International will assist more than 61 million mothers and their babies! The organization consists of a Board of Trustees and Foundation Staff. There are many partners of Kiwanis International (through donating regularly to the Foundation). There are opportunities for employment; however, currently, the positions are technical. I did like that the career opportunities section asked if you wanted to "start a career that will impact the lives of others positively everyday"(Kiwanis International, 2012).
Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI) (http://www.acei.org/)
I believe this website was recommended in class, but I needed to explore and discover more about the Association. I loved the four core beliefs of the Association where uniqueness, universality, quality, and equality serve to guide the Association. ACEI supports all that we have discussed in our course! Additionally, the mission and vision statements appealed to my interest in quality education for children. There is an Advisory Council, Executive Board, and staff who make up the ACEI. Interested individuals can apply to be a board member. The list of qualifications included some of the following: demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy and goals of ACEI; strong leadership skills; demonstrate a desire to promote excellence; sincere commitment to the education of all children; board knowledge of Early Childhood (AECI, Executive Board Qualifications). Additionally, you have to be a member of the Association (if interested in becoming a board member. I think the ACEI sounds like a great Association (one which I am going to join).
Children International (http://www.children.org/education.asp?sid=A02EF05D-8437-49C4-B239-C1FF33EB09D1)
Similar to Save the Children, the Children International organization is another humanitarian organization focused on overcoming poverty (asked to sponsor a child). I do like that Children International is devoted to "bettering the lives of impoverished children, their families, and communities" (Children International, 2012). Their vision, mission, and goals focus on helping children and their families break free of poverty through education, etc. Children International does have a volunteer Board of Directors, and Executive Officers. There are several job opportunities, however, all are technical positions. Regardless of the position, excellent communication skills would be essential to be a Board member.
UNESCO (http://portal.unesco.org/en/ev.php-URL_ID=11708&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html)
I explored the UNESCO -Education section for job postings. Currently, there are no job vacancies; however, I did explore the job qualifications for a position at UNESCO. One's level of expertise in education, culture, science, communication, management, or administration would be a determining factor in applying for a position. The positions start at a Junior level where one would need to demonstrate competency in implementing programs and projects. The next level is Middle level where one would be the team lead and then Management level positions (Head of a section, etc). Further qualifications include having a university degree in education, science, communication, etc as well as proficiency in French and English (other languages an asset as well). Depending on which level you wish to apply for you need to have the required numbers of years experience. For example, for the Junior level you need at least 2 to 3 years experience. UNESCO encourages you to review your qualifications before applying. It would be an exciting career choice and opportunity to be involved in an organization such as UNESCO.
Tamara,
ReplyDeleteI as well was interested in the Association for Childhood Education International. I like the focus of the Community of Practice and it seems as if the organization is passionate about their mission/vision. It did appear that the encourage membership to become a part of their organization. This is an organization I would love to learn more about.