It was many years ago but feels like yesterday that I found out I was expecting our first child. We were so excited. We attended prenatal classes, and read "What to expect when you are expecting" to learn more. Early in the pregnancy, I experienced some bleeding. The doctor recommended I take some time off work. Needless to say, we were a little nervous, but everything was okay (ultrasound). I gained forty pounds and waddled here and there during my last month. I remember waking up in the wee hours of the morning feeling somewhat uncomfortable. A couple of hours later, I decided that perhaps we should head to the hospital. I remember sitting on the couch waiting for my husband to pack his bag (mine had been ready for weeks). Off we go to the hospital! My husband is so nervous we run a red light. When we get to the hospital, he wants me to walk from the parking lot! We laugh now about all of this now. Anyways, labor was fairly short from the time we arrived at the hospital to when our little six pound girl was born (about three and half hours....I am not complaining).
Giving birth in Sweden sounds very positive for couples. It would appear that midwives manage the prenatal, birth and after birth process. The only time an expectant mom would see the doctor is if there were complications. The doctor does check the baby after birth. From what I discovered, the birthing process is done with as little intervention as possible. One dad blogged that he felt Sweden to be the safest spot in the word to have a baby. C-sections in Sweden happen infrequently (17%) compared to the U.S. Almost all births occur in the hospital. What interested me the most is that of parental leave. In Sweden, parents are entitled to 480 days of paid leave per child! Can you imagine! This is so supportive of parents who wish to spend time with their child.
Tamara,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading about the birth experience in Sweden. I feel like I have heard a lot of negative comments about birth in other countries. It is nice to see that it is a pleasant experience for mothers in Sweden. I have not given birth myself, but I can imagine that I would want all 480 days of paid leave per child! That is so much time. I witness some of my coworkers struggle with not seeing their newborn baby enough because they have to work. I feel so bad because I can imagine that it is difficult to have to go back to work after 8 or 12 weeks. Thanks for your post. I learned valuable information!
wow 480 days to be with baby! Not that is paternity leave. I want to leave America so my wife can have more kids. lol
ReplyDeleteHi! Tamara,
ReplyDeleteI've heard so many moms say how they never remember what they went through when they gave birth. It's good to know no matter how long ago a child was born some of us still remember.
Sweden sounds like that is the place to be....lol.
Thanks for sharing. :)
Hi Tamara,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog it made me remember when I had my first child. My husband ran the light because it was taking so long and I was soaked because my water had broke. Thanks for the memory.