When thinking about someone in my life who demonstrates competent communication, I thought of Kathy, a work colleague of mine. I have observed Kathy during our team meetings and marvel at how she is able to keep the team grounded. Sometimes we are off on tangents, dreaming of bigger and better things, and then Kathy hits us with a dose of reality. She is able to state her opinion clearly to help the team in making a decision. Oh how I wish I could speak confidently in a group setting. This is what I admire about Kathy in her communication skills during our team meetings. If she becomes upset or frustrated, she usually takes a moment to think about what was said before voicing her opinion. Oftentimes, I have observed her taking the time to write her thoughts down (or points), so that when she speaks she remains focused on the issue. We have had many heated discussions during our team meetings, but Kathy always remains calm and is able to re-focus the group by restating the issue. I love that she uses the right amount of humor when she speaks. I have approached Kathy with some of my own challenges/issues and have found that she is a great listener who is able to provide wonderful advice and suggestions. I have also noticed how she handles aggressive/challenging emails. Rather than respond immediately when she is upset/angry, she waits to respond to the email. Oftentimes she will compose the email and then seek advice to make sure the wording and message is clear.
Would I want to model some of my own communication behaviors after Kathy? You bet! Why? Kathy is able to express herself clearly and confidently in our team meetings. Kathy takes her time before responding meaning that she is listening before she speaks and offers her perspective. I wish I could say the same for myself! I think I need to feel more confident about speaking in a group!
Tamara,
ReplyDeleteThats awesome that your colleague has such great and strong communications skills. I dont mind public speaking but its not my favorite things. By no means am I pro at it. Im glad she is able to help you further develop your own public speaking and communication skills. You could prolly give her a few pointer or new insights from this class. Thanks for sharing!
It is nice to see people write down their thoughts down before speaking. It has helped me when I have to speak in front of a group I do not know. Your co-worker has some qualities that I like too.
ReplyDeleteI admire good communicators like Kathy who make the art of communicating look so easy and including humor often breaks the ice amongst those that are tense. Great points that we all should demonstrate when speaking with children, families, and colleagues.
ReplyDelete