I remember my mother discouraging from breastfeeding. I was a bottle fed baby and my mom figured I should follow the same practice. I think she was uncomfortable and did not know what advice to give (and she usually has advice and opinions on everything!). I read so much about the benefits of breastfeeding that I decided it was worth it. I loved the idea of snuggling with my baby and not having to prepare bottles every day. I grew to enjoy breastfeeding after my initial unsuccessful attempts at her latching on . I did become anxious when we were out for the evening and took her with us. I was uncomfortable breastfeeding in public and would disappear someplace quiet to nurse. My friend showed me how to use a blanket to cover myself. Who knew that nursing could be so easy after this discovery! I learned to stay away from certain foods as she seemed to off days depending on what I had eaten. I was able to breastfeed her for the first eight months and then had to return to work. It was too challenging to continue to breastfeed and try to express so we switched to the bottle.
Breastfeeding in Mongolia
Oh, to live in Mongolia where breastfeeding is embraced, encouraged, and catered to! Moms are treated like royalty as Mongolians believe breast milk will make the baby grow big and strong. Breastfeeding in public-no worries. People actually approach nursing moms to have a look. Most children stop breastfeeding between 2 and 4 years of age whereas an occasional few will continue to 9 years of age (I can't imagine!). Mongolians like the taste of breast milk. If a mom needed to express some milk, and left the milk in the fridge, a family member would drink it. It would appear that breastfeeding in Mongolia is the norm.
Hi Tamara,
ReplyDeleteI think breast feeding was one of the best things I could have done for my daughters. Unfortunately, I was not able to continue as long as I would have liked too and not to mention it helps to get the unwanted pounds off very quickly.
Mongolia has the right idea except for the wanting to watch part.
Great post!!