Friday, 16 September 2011

Relationship Reflection


“When something is missing in your life, it usually turns out to be someone”.  ~Robert Brault

When you think about the number of relationships you have with others, you start to realize the number of important people in your life, personally and professionally.  We connect with others for so many reasons. Each relationship validates you and offers you something in return.    The most important relationship I have is with my husband.  We have been together for twenty-three years.  I realized how much our relationship meant to me this summer when he became very ill. I cannot imagine life without him.  You get the picture. Okay, moving on to my children.  They bring me joy and headaches, but I love them for who they are and love seeing myself or their dad reflected in the things they say or do.  Then there is my family (mom, dad, my two sisters) and my relationships with each of them --well, all I can say is that I have very different relationships with each of them.  They offer support and encouragement although my mom has an odd way of showing this.   Finally, there are the relationships I have with my circle of friends where support and advice is a phone call away and when we get together, we share our stories and laugh!  When I need a boost, I phone one of my good friends.   My relationships with my friends are wonderful and after chatting with them I always feel so much better!  I love that I can trust my friends!
Professionally, I have a number of work colleagues where our relationship remains on a professional level.  We communicate at work, problem solve issues and decide on a plan for the future. This relationship focuses only on work related issues.  I may not always agree with their views or decisions and can come home downright upset.  Of course, I chat with my hubby or a friend when this happens then am ready to start a new day.  I find I need to have outside interests from work to stay fresh and motivated.    Professional relationships are not the same kind of relationship I have with my family and friends.
It takes time and effort to maintain good relationships with others.  Within each relationship, it is important to be a good listener. I think relationships inspire us, motivate us and contribute to our overall well-being.    Having positive relationships in our lives is so beneficial for our work as early childhood professionals. Being happy and content in my own life benefits not just me but everyone I come in contact with as I can give 100% back.

5 comments:

  1. Tamara,
    I love the way you word the relationships you have with family. I can empathize! Mine is very similar. My husband of 26 years is also my closest relationship. He has also been very ill lately. We have a lot in common!

    One of my closest relationships is with my oldest grandson. He seems to have trouble fitting in with almost everyone else. We seem to mesh just fine! Maybe we are too much alike.

    Mary L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamara, what a blessing that you and your husband have had 23 beautiful years together! I hope one day that I will be able to say the same.

    I noticed that when moving from my position as a child care provider to an "office" job that I had to learn how to maintain professional relationships and keep my professional and personal relationships separate. When working in child care its so easy to become friends with coworkers because you have so much time to chat and get to no one another: on the playground, during nap, on field trips, etc. However when entering a different atmosphere I had to learn that it’s totally different in an office setting.
    Its great to be cordial, but we stay so busy that there is no time to chat and get to know each other on a personal level. It kind of saddened me because I was so use to the relationship and bond that I had with my old co-workers, but I've learned to cope and when I walk through the doors at 8:30 its "game" face on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You brought up two great comments the first is keeping our place of work separate from our personal lives. I enjoy conversing with my colleagues however, their are many I only talk to about school related issues. Not because I have issues with them but because our only interest in common is school or education. Another great issue you address is being a good listener. I love the phrase God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, me and my wife haven't been married for too long but it feels like we have known one another for over 20 to 30 years. She is such a beautiful person to me and I like that she is the strength when I am weak and I like being the same for her. We are like Yin and Yang some people have told us. But you hold on to what you have because it doesn't come like that often. Even though love is a spirit within itself, if one isn't receptive to it, then it cannot coexist in a relationship and it is clear that you and your husband have that connection that goes beyond just the mere definition.

    Many blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that it is awesome that you and your husband have been married for that many years. I have been married for 3 months now so to read that is motivation. We have a 18 month old little girl and you already know how that goes. But I can honestly say that he is my best friend. We just recently moved to a new area so neither one of us have that many friends but it does not bother me because I can easily talk to him about anything. I wish you and your family many more years of blessings.

    ReplyDelete