Saturday, 15 October 2011

Testing for Intelligence?


To be honest, I hear the word ‘test’ and I want to run in the other direction (and quickly).  I hate tests.  Tests to me only measure your knowledge at that point in time.  In some instances, I am glad that I had enough knowledge to pass the test!   But I always wonder about children who are having an off day, or have other factors in their life that would interfere with doing well on a test.  From here I started the ‘what if’ questions in regards to tests in general.  I think there are many factors that can contribute to someone doing poorly on a test.   I wondered if a test is a true measure of a child’s learning potential. What are other ways to measure a child’s ability?  Amazingly, IQ tests were created many years ago and were the primary means to identifying children with disabilities. If the test helps a child to receive extra support for his learning, then I see the benefit.   I remember in grade school (a long time ago) we had to complete an IQ test.  The results were to help guide us in choosing academic level courses in high school (or not).  My husband was told that he did not have the academic abilities to do academic level courses.  Of course, he took academic courses and did very well in high school and university.  As a result, you wonder how useful IQ tests can be for a child.  We all learn and grow in very different ways.

Within the last 15 years or less, Education Quality and Accountability testing (EQAO) was introduced in the public schools in the province of Ontario, Canada.    The children in grades 3, 6, 9, and 10 complete EQAO tests in reading, writing and math.  The tests help to give teachers, parents, principals, and school boards information about how well students have learned what the province expects them to learn in reading, writing, and math ( EQAO, 2011).  The results indicate a child’s skill levels (a percentage equal to a letter grade).  Students in grade 10 must complete a literacy test.  Success in the literacy test is needed in order to graduate with an Ontario Secondary School Diploma.  Linguistically diverse children may have accommodations to help them with the test (extra time, or someone to read the questions, etc).   Children with exceptionalities are also given extra supports and accommodations to help them be successful in writing the tests.

  References
EQAO (Settlement.org) (2011). What is the EQAO and why are students tested?
Retrieved October 15, 2011, from http://www.settlement.org/sys/library_detail.asp?doc_id=1004054

4 comments:

  1. Tamara...
    The word test makes me crindge as well. I think the reason for the uneasy feeling is that tests are not associated with anything fun or pleasant. For instance, every test I've ever had to take was in a quiet, cold room were the teachers emphasized time. Of course that is distracting! Everyone is focused on being too noisy, too cold, and fear running out of time to finish the test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamara,
    Your post is so true especially about the part with your husband. I am sure we all know someone that has failed a test but can tell you how to answer every problem that was on it. Some people are just frightened of being considered a failure when it comes to test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamara,
    I don't like that testing put children against a wall, if they don't pass then what?.....SMH....
    I know how your husband must have felt....But, at the same time we as teachers need to know if what we're teching is accurate and plaiable to the children....you know what i mean!!!!???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tamara,

    I agree with you about taking tests, and how it just makes some people nervous. I think most tests just see how well you can memorize material. Plus, some tests may discourage children from pursuing something because they did not do so well on that particular subject.

    ReplyDelete