There are so many links to explore on the Zero to Three website that it is easy to become overwhelmed. The website is an excellent resource for early childhood professionals and parents. I had not explored the School Readiness link. Given the discussions on equity and excellence in early childhood over the past few weeks, I thought the school readiness link would be worth exploring.
I explored the “School Readiness Interactive” which highlighted language and literacy, thinking skills, self-control, and self-confidence for the following age groups: birth to 12 months, 12 months to 24 months, and 24 months to 36 months. The link offers tips for parents to encourage young children’s learning. Short video clips are available that address the topic. For example, I viewed the video clip for language and literacy skills where a young child is singing “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.” It is a wonderful clip showing the interactions between the parent/adult who prompts the child to continue singing the song. From the video clip are questions and additional information for parents to increase their thinking and learning about language and literacy skills.
Additionally within the school readiness link are other links. Another link is a document entitled “Getting Ready for School Begins at Birth. How to help your child in the early years.” Again the document is divided according to age groups (as above). I found this document much easier to read than the link outlined previously (it did cover the same information).
There is a podcast as well featuring Dr. Alison Gopnik. I love her passion when she speaks about infant s and how they learn.
I explored the “Learning to Write and Draw” link (still under School Readiness). This link discusses creativity and how children’s art work and drawing skills develop by outlining the stages of art development. I liked that this document encouraged parents to let their child explore and experiment with art materials such as chunky crayons, thick pencils and markers. I found the tips were practical for parents. This particular document leads to other documents about creativity and stages of art development.
I did receive an email from Zero to Three which allowed me to preview one of the articles for the Zero to Three Journal. The article discusses children’s challenging behaviors. Interestingly, I found that this article supported Delila Vasquez’s discussion regarding the inattention to children’s social development and providing children needed skills to cope (Vasquez, 2011). According to Perry et al. (2011),“there is strong evidence that social and emotional skills are as critical to school adjustment as are competencies in language and academic readiness skills. When kindergarten teachers report that children are not entering school ready to learn, they are most often referring to deficits in social and emotional skills” (Perry et al., 2011, p. 1). Many educators are struggling to deal with children’s challenging behaviors and feel they lack training (Perry et al., 2011). Surprisingly, many of the children with challenging behaviors have been asked to leave early learning and care programs (Perry et al., 2011). This article is very interesting and worth reading.
Overall, the Zero to Three is informative. To be honest, I was concerned about the School Readiness link thinking the information would focus on academics. After exploring several of the links, I learned that each of the links supports children's learning by offering practical tips for parents (spending time with children, reading to them, etc).
References
Perry, D., Holland, C., Darling-Kuria, N., Nadiv, S. (2011). Challenging Behavior and
Expulsion From Child Care. Retrieved from http://main.zerotothree.org/site/DocServer/32-2_Perry.pdf?docID=12901
Vasquez, D. (2011). [Audio Tape Recording]. “ Equity and Excellence of Care for Children and Families-Part 1” Retrieved from http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com
I think the emotional part of teaching is very interesting. I taught 5-8th grade special education with one year being in a self-contained Emotional Disabilities classroom for 6-8th grade. It was challenging, but so rewarding. I think that it is something that should be addressed through an in-service. Many teachers have no idea how to address the situations or even follow the IEP behavior goals. Great post!
ReplyDeleteYour post about the School Readiness section of the zero to three web site was very informative. I have explored that site many times, but I have never explored that particular section. It sounds like it has a lot of great information that I could share with the parents of my 2 1/2 - 3 year olds. Thanks for sharing! I just noticed your profile,too, where you stated that you were interested in music and movement with children. That is an area that I LOVE to engage my children in. I would love to hear about some of the things that you do. I can always use more ideas.
ReplyDeleteTamara, great post..I will definitely check out the school readiness post. It sounds very infornative and something I can share with my teachers. I try and do naptime training at least once a month.Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteSchool readiness is a very controvercial issue becuase there are so mant different views. I myself am weary of thing that say you must prepare your child from birth for school as I think we sometimes forget the natural instincts of rasing children and place to much pressure on them from a young age.
ReplyDelete