My understanding about the research process has increased tremendously over the past weeks. In the beginning of our course, I was reassured that the title of the course “Building Research Competencies” would help me to be more confident and competent in using research as a tool. I am thankful that I know how to read a research study and the steps involved in creating a research study outline.
Breaking the research process into smaller steps helped me to understand how each part of the research process is dependent on the other. I have learned how research evolves and changes. For example, in the beginning my topic was very broad, however, I was able to refine and narrow my research question. My research design approach changed as well. I liked the analogy that research is a journey (MacKenzie & Ling, 2009). I am comforted knowing that my research process was unique to me. Our destination as a class was the same (completing the research study outline), but our challenges and paths were different.
My ideas about the nature of doing research have changed dramatically over the past few weeks. From thinking about the research question, to who will participate in my study, to thinking about which design is best suited to my research, to thinking about how to collect the data, I have been engaged in learning about each step of the research process. At times the process was overwhelming and challenging as there were many considerations that needed attention. In particular, I struggled with creating a hypothesis. I understood the how but could not formulate my thoughts. I kept revising and revising my statements. My husband could see my frustration and finally came to my rescue by listening and offering suggestions. I also struggled with switching my thinking from a quantitative to a qualitative approach. As a learner, I read, think, write, read, think and write again. I am glad that we were guided in our learning.
I think the planning and designing piece of the research study is labor intensive as so many considerations need thought and attention. I debated between using the qualitative design or mixed methods for a couple of days before making my decision to use the mixed methods approach. I can see where the design phase would be exciting for researchers. I think the fun part would be to actually conduct the research. I am sure that there would a tremendous amount of learning happening in this part of the research process for the researcher.
I am in awe of early childhood professionals who choose research as a career path. Of course, I have always thought early childhood teachers are researchers in their daily work with children (observing, reflecting, planning, and thinking). I think research is important for the early childhood field as early childhood teachers, the children, and others benefit from the information.
Reference
MacKenzie, N.M., & Ling, L.M. (2009). The research journey: A Lonely Planet approach. Issues in Educational Research, 19(1), 48-60.
Tamara,
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate your insight regarding this class. I too found areas in this study overwhelming. But at the same time rewarding because as I gained understand the evidence of each sections importance became quite apparent. Thanks for sharing.