Since learning about microaggressions, it is interesting how much more aware you are of what others are saying. If the microaggression is intentional or unintentional, the comment or the behavior is still hurtful to the individual. I talked about the following example in my journal. In seeking a promotion, I was told by my employer's male lawyer that “all I do is teach the students how to play with crayons.” I shook my head in disbelief after hearing this statement. Needless to say, this comment made me feel angry and then worthless as an educator. I think the exercise of observing my own and other people's verbal interactions to detect microaggressions has helped me to become more aware of my own behaviour/comments and those of others. I have a better understanding of microaggressions and how microaggressions impact our sense of self and our overall well-being as a person.
References
Image from http://microaggressions.com/
Tamara, I so agree that exploring this week’s assignment has made me aware of so many microaggressions. I also think it good to be mindful of what you say to other people. However I think it’s going to be difficult for me to be diplomatic when it is clear they are being demeaning. Good Post.
ReplyDelete