Saturday, 12 November 2011

My Personal Research Journey

I decided after much deliberation to focus my research simulation topic on the importance of music in children's development.  Working through the three subtopics proved to an interesting process.  I thought my interest and love of music would make the process of choosing three subtopics a little easier, but was surprised at how long I thought about each subtopic.  To be honest, I was thankful for the examples provided in our course documents.  This week we were asked to choose one specific subtopic.  So I found myself contemplating the merits of each one.  As you can tell I have a hard time making decisions.   So after much thought (again!), I decided to focus my research simulation on ways music fosters children's brain development. Then the process of searching for more articles to support the subtopic was time consuming.  I need to learn how to simplify this process and I spent hours searching for articles. Of course I enjoy playing detective, but think there must be an easier way to find articles!  As for the research chart, I am enjoying learning how to read the lengthy and rather wordy research documents.   Perhaps by the end of the course, I will be more confident in my research skills!

3 comments:

  1. Tamara,
    You have chosen a very interesting topic, my topic is about how early experiences and interactions affect brain development. I found the chart exercises very beneficial and very helpful to help me understand the reading and the research process better. Finding research articles for the topic that I chose was the toughest part of this week's assignments. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamara - I, too, had such a difficult time deciding on my topic! There is just so much out there I would like to know! I think you chose a great topic about brain development in regards to music. I am anxious to hear what you find out... Music is so important in the lives of children! Thanks for the post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I have a hard time picking topic or once I pick a topic there are some many different aspects to that topic which peek my interset I have a hard time staying on task of just talking about the one aspect of the topic.
    Music is a wonderful topic! children learn so much through music and movement to the rymths in which inspire them express themselves. I look forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete