Saturday, 19 November 2011

Research that Benefits Children and Families-Uplifting Stories

I remember the news of Jacky's illness being delivered by her mom one evening.  We had not seen Jacky in a week or so.  She was usually at the house most weekends or our daughter at her house. She had come to let us know that Jacky had been diagnosed with leukemia.  For many months Jacky was confined to her hospital room and not allowed to have visitors.  However, when she did return home she was at our house on numerous occasions.  I remember  our girls having a hard time understanding Jacky's illness and asking her questions about leukemia.  At one point, Jacky said "what choice do I have....I have to take the drugs or die."  Jacky was twelve at the time.  She missed one year and bit of school.  What was great was the support of her teachers in sending school work home.   As well, Jacky was able to through the use of technology be present in class without being physically there.   Each month Jacky would return to the hospital to undergo tests and treatments.  The treatments affected her weight and hair.  For a young pre-adolescent, this must have been so hard.  Her mom told me that Jacky was  participating in a research study for a new treatment (drug) for leukemia.  The treatments (drugs) were successful and Jacky is now in her second year of university.
I think this is a good example of people that have been positively affected by research.

4 comments:

  1. Tamara, Your story about Jackie was very touching. I am very glad that thr new research drug is helping her. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamara,

    Your story about Jackie reminds me of so many other stories from Children's Hospital website. I chose my utopian research topic as finding a cure for childhood cancers. It breaks my heart to see children and even adults battling cancer. The treatments are so challenging for the patients and like Jacky said, "What choice do they have?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamara,
    I also know of this girl who has leukemia and has been battling this disease for many years. She had several strokes, was in a coma for 2 weeks and still managed to pull through and live. I am so glad that Jacky was able to get some help.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful, hopeful story! I hope that there will be many like this in the future with our advances in medicine and so forth. Sounds like Jacky had a great deal of support which is true to any sucess.
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete