One hope that I have when I think about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds
I hope to continue the journey of learning and celebrating our similarities and differences. I hope to be able to work with my colleagues to create a wonderful learning environment that is welcoming and respectful of all of the children and families attending.
One goal related I would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity and social justice:
My goal is to develop skills and comfort in addressing hurtful comments or actions in the classroom. My goal is to be mindful of my own behavior and words. I recognize the messages my words and actions can communicate to the children and their families (or not communicate). I admit that I have little experience talking to the children about bias, but I am willing to listen, to learn and ask questions (Derman Sparks & Edwards, 2010).
A word of thanks:
I have enjoyed reading and learning from our many discussion and blog postings. Thank for your insightful comments which helped to further my understanding. I wish all of you the very best in your future studies.
Reference
Derman-Sparks, L. & Edwards, J.O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

Tamara,
ReplyDeleteThe children in your classroom are like the crayons in a box. I like the quote at the top of your page. I read it every week. As long as you continue to remember that quote, you will be a very diverse and unbiased teacher! I have enjoyed reading your blogs every week!
Mary L.
Tamara,
ReplyDeleteCelebrating diversity is such a beautiful act that we as early childhood professionals can strive to bring into the lives of the children that we are entrusted with. Your DIVERSITY acronym is a wonderful illustration of a creative way to begin to incorporate diversity into the classroom. I want to thank you for your postings, I enjoyed reading them! Good luck in your next course.
Tamara,
ReplyDeleteI too enjoyed reading your blog and your quotes "the crayon in the box" as well as "If there be righteousness in the Heart" both speaks out at you with meaning. Both can relate to accepting children and families as different but as valuable and unique. Your goal is one that I will practice also to be mindful of my own behavior and words. Thanks for sharing so much new insight throughout this eight weeks. Be blessed as you continue on your journey.