With many of the groups (committees and working colleagues), I have been involved in over the years, there has been a sense of accomplishment in completing the task or meeting our goal. With each of the groups, at the end of the project, we have always done something special together to celebrate. I find you connect with many of the people involved. I always find it challenging to say good-bye to people that you may not see again or have become very close to over the course of the project. Of course, there have been some groups where you are thankful that the project is completed.
I think having lunch or dinner together helps to bring closure to the project (and a way to celebrate a job well done). When we completed our curriculum project, we celebrated by having lunch together at a local restaurant. Sometimes groups do need to meet after the project is completed to evaluate the changes and make adjustments if necessary. With our curriculum project, we have taken the time to meet regularly to review the changes to ensure we are on target.
The adjourning stage makes me think of project work with the children. When the project comes to a close, the children decide on a way to present what they have learned to share with others. The adjourning stage is an essential stage of teamwork as it allows everyone to reflect on their contributions to the group and celebrate the accomplishments of working together. Even if the group was unsuccessful, Abudi (2010) recommends that the group take the time to evaluate and learn from the experience.
As for how do I imagine that I will adjourn from the group of colleagues I have formed while working on my master’s degree in this program? I look forward to celebrating together at convocation with everyone for a job well done. Actually, it will be wonderful to meet people face to face!
References:
Abudi, G. (2010). The five stages of team development: A case study. Retrieved from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/the-five-stages-of-team-development-a-case-study.html




Tamara,
ReplyDeleteYes, the end of a project is just as important as the beginning. Many persons forget to sit back and reflect on results. We do learn from the experiences we have.
Mary L.
Tamara,
ReplyDeleteFirst, I really enjoy the photos you added :)
Second, you and I definitely have similar thoughts regarding adjourning. I also have been part of groups who adjourn by some sort of social gathering such as out to eat. Personally, I love this. It gives everyone a chance to get out and get away from whatever particular project was being worked on. It also gives everyone a chance to see how people are in a social sense other than a business "get-things-done" sense.
Thanks for the insights! I hope you have a great remainder of your weekend!
Beki