“Diversity is not about how we differ. Diversity is about embracing one another’s uniqueness.” Ola Joseph
It was interesting asking one of my colleagues, a friend, and a family for a definition of culture and diversity. They each had a different perspective yet each definition helped to expand my thinking about culture and diversity.
Kathy (a work colleague) offered the following definitions:
Diversity is the idea of acceptance of groups or individuals. It goes deeper than just acknowledging or “putting up” with an individual or group of people that one may not view similar to them. It is a term to show understanding of the differences of various people or groups (examples: race disability socioeconomic status etc.)
Culture- I think it can be beyond family. I think it could also be a group of people (meaning more than family) who share similar beliefs and ideas and as that group they continue to pass on those beliefs and ideas from generation to generation and therefore the "culture" continues to exist with certain expectations.
Leigh (a friend) offered the following definitions:
Culture is what you are born into and taught by your family
Diversity is how the different cultures learn to get along
with each other and accept their differences and similarities.
Diversity: everyone's different ethnicity, different cultural beliefs, styles of living, different religions, people’s differences
Culture: every different society’s way of life-every culture is different and has a different mindset, how people are brought up, environmental and social factors that come together to make a culture that people embrace.
I enjoyed hearing their definitions of diversity and culture as it encouraged a great conversation. I think their definitions help me to understand how similar and different we are as individuals. In week two the panelists offered many different descriptions of culture and diversity. I think all sources help me to understand the complexity of both words. In the end it is culture and diversity that makes us who we are. And by acknowledging our similarities and differences we embrace our culture and diversity.
References
Laureate Education Inc. (2011). Perspectives on Diversity and Equity-“Culture and Diversity”. Retrieved from http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com
Laureate Education, Inc., (2011) Family cultures: Dynamic interactions. [Video Webcast] Retrieved from http:// sylvan.live.ecollege.com



This was an awesome idea. I enjoyed reading the different definitons. It's amazing how we all have different comprehensions on things. Diversity and Culture are similiar yet very different. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI think you made a really great point; we should celebrate our differences AND our similarities! I personally think we often times get so wrapped up in pointing out our unique differences, that we forget in order to effectively build relationships, we may need to focus on similarities first to form a solid foundation. I really enjoyed the art work you included on this post!
ReplyDelete