Friday, 20 January 2012

EDUC-6165-Communication and Culture-Week 3


   Do I communicate differently with people from different groups or cultures? 
This is an interesting question to consider.  I am the quiet one in my group of friends who offers a funny comment every now and again.  When I am in a one to one situation with another person, I give that person all of my attention (eye contact, smile, nodding of head, etc).    I think I am a good listener (although not according to the little test offered by O’Hair, Friedrich & Dixon (2011).   As part of my current work responsibilities, I do have to meet with many individuals from different cultures.   In thinking about this question I know  I do listen more attentively as I sometimes I find the individual’s accent hard to understand.  I do ask more questions to seek clarification to ensure that I have heard their message correctly.  At times, I feel terrible as I have not understood what the individual has said and have had to ask the person to repeat (sometimes several times) what was said.    As well, I know I speak slower (I do speak quickly at times) when trying to explain my response to them and tend to repeat what I have said. 

Strategies based on my learning this week:
·         Acknowledge differences and avoid making assumptions about the other person.  Be open to learning about another culture.
·         Listen.  Do less talking and listen some more.  
·          Ask questions to seek clarification.
·         From Beebe, Beebe & Redmond (2011).  I like the idea of engaging in ‘self-talk’ to help deal with an uncomfortable situation.  This will be helpful as it will force me to stop and think about what is being said and what I am feeling.  
·         Focus on the other person and remember it’s not about me but about them.
The most important (I think) is to….. Remember that “every individual is unique” (Beebe, Beebe & Redmond, 2011, p. 109).  And to try practicing  the Platinum Rule……….


Reference
Beebe, S.A., Beebe, S.J. & Redmond, M.V. (2011).  Interpersonal communication: Relating to others (6th ed.).  Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.  Chapter 4, “Interpersonal Communication and Diversity: Adapting to Others” pp. 85-114. Retrieved from http://sylvan. Live.ecollege.com

1 comment:

  1. Tamara,
    I think it is necessary to listen more intently when conversing with a person that has limited English. I feel that it is respectful to try to understand the words spoken to you. I have a friend that speaks English fluently, yet I must also listen very carefully when she speaks. She speaks so fast, that the words seem to run together! Listening carefully may be necessary for many different reasons. Talking to children is another time we must listen carefully. When my mentally retarded sister speaks, I must listen carefully. Listening carefully may be a necessity when taking a college course! Listening carefully may be necessary for a variety of reasons!
    Mary L.

    ReplyDelete