Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Looking back

As a child, I loved to have my picture taken.   Re-discovering my childhood pictures this week was very interesting as many of the photos included my sister and I together playing in the sand, the sprinkler or at the beach.  Anyways, it brought back many memories of my childhood.   It was fun deciding which picture I would post on my blog.
So here I am many many years later reflecting on my childhood. I am remembering that my sister and I loved to be outside.  I recall many experiences outside being unsupervised. We were free to go here and there.  In reflecting on children's experiences today it seems that children are rushed from one activity to the next.  I think children spend too much time being connected (internet, television, computer games etc), therefore spending too much time indoors. We should be encouraging children to be outside and enjoying all that nature has to offer.


"There's no way that we can help children to learn to love and preserve this planet, if we don't give them direct experiences with the miracles and blessings of nature."   Anita Olds

Check out this great article " The Power of Nature to Heal Children" by Vicki Bohling-Philippi Retrieved July 6, 2011 from www.mjccvt.org/filemanager/download/8847/

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tamara...your quote rings so true. You have no idea (or maybe you do) how many parents try to convince caregivers that their child is allergic to the outdoors and must be inside while they are in care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tamara,
    Ahhhh...the great outdoors! Children love being outside. I was just thinking about how I sometimes run to check my mailbox before my grandchildren and neice even see me leave the house. Whenever they get outside they never want to come back in. Since I live in the heat belt (the south) it is rarely that I want to be outside during the summer. But you are defintely right...it is a wonderful place for children to learn and explore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamara, that is so true. As parents we have so many things going on that sometimes that is the quickest thing to do (television, video games, etc.). I had to put my oldest son in baseball and football to get him out the house, leave it up to him he would infront of the television watching Nick Jr.

    ReplyDelete