Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Personal Childhood Web

My Grandma and Grandpa or as we affectionately called them 'big grandma and grandpa."  My grandparents lived on a farm.  It was always exciting to visit the farm and have grandma look after us (my sister and I).  Grandma use to make special lunches for us.  I remember my sister saying "Grandma those eggs look *** good."  Grandma did not blink an eye at my sister's language.  Sometimes, Grandma would take us to the barn to see the cows.  I remember Grandma sitting on a stool to show us how to milk the cow.  We were never brave enough to try but loved to watch Grandma spray the milk to the barn cats.  I particularly remember sliding down the huge banister railing and using pillows to bump down the staircase. When Grandma and Grandpa moved from the farm, we got to see more of them as they lived closer to us.  Grandma would take us with her to church, to her quilting club, and to any function that she was attending.  She was so proud to have us with her.  Grandma always had time for us. I remember her showing me how to knit. Grandpa had a hearing loss and we would spend most of mealtimes repeating the conversation.  I always remember Grandpa teasing us.  He always would say that he was going to trade that big grandma in for a smaller grandma.  We would always yell ..."nooooooooooo" which is exactly what he wanted to hear.  I have learned to appreciate to slow down and enjoy life from my grandparents.  I am glad to have such fond memories of my grandparents.

My other grandparents or as we affectionately called them "little grandma and grandpa" lived down the street from where we lived.  We liked to call little grandma and grandpa the mod grandparents (Grandma had red hair (dyed of course) and they owned a convertible).  They liked to travel and would always bring back little presents for my sister and I.  Grandma was very crafty and loved to sew.  She made all kinds of things for us (dresses, doll houses, dolls, etc).  I still have many of the things she made stored away.  Little Grandma and Grandpa would take us to the beach.  We would drive in their convertible and stay the day at the beach.  Grandpa worked at the local Stedmans store where my sister and I would visit him.  Every time we visited him he gave us some pocket change so we could buy sweets.  Christmas at little grandma and grandpa's brings back fond memories.  Grandma always had a silver tree and would put a little village around the tree.  My sister continues this tradition.  Again, I feel fortunate to have spent time growing up having little grandma and grandpa in my life.

Finally my mom and dad pictured here on my wedding day.  I remember the house where we lived when I was a child before moving to another city.  My sister and I had a lot of freedom growing up.  I have learned to appreciate this freedom by giving my own children freedom to make decisions.  As mentioned in an earlier blog, my sister and I spent much of our time playing outdoors. When we rode our tricycles down the street, one of the neighbors would stop us and tell us to turn around and go back home that we had come far enough.   We were involved in other activities such as tap dancing and swimming.  My sister and I had to catch a bus downtown (about a ten minute walk from our house, longer if you walked really slow).  We did not like our swimming classes and always walked very slow just so we could miss the bus.  Mom still laughs about this.  I remember birthday parties with special cakes. My mom and dad have always been there for me and support me in whatever way they can.  Mom always has good advice and is only a phone call away.   It is unfortunate that my mom and dad live in another city when my own children were growing up as they were unable to spend as much time as I did with my grandparents. 

2 comments:

  1. Tamara I love reading your childhood web. Your grandfather sounding alot like mine, always making jokes about how he going to divorce my grandmother so she wouldn't get his money. Momories go along way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamara, you have a great childhood web. It's too bad that we don't have neighbors and neighborhoods like that anymore, when everyone watched out for each other. Great memories, and what's even better is that you guys are carrying on some of those traditions for your own families.

    ReplyDelete